Warning Signs of Septic System Problems
Your septic system is a compact version of the wastewater treatment plant. It provides the same function on a smaller scale. It will provide years of service if maintained properly. Warning signs to look out for include:
- Sluggish drainage in the home
- Plumbing backups
- Gurgling sound in pipes & drains
- Outdoor odor
- Mushy ground/greener grass in area of septic system
Septic System Maintenance Means Two Things:
1. Sludge and scum that accumulates in the tank must be removed! There is no additive that can be supplemented into the tank to make it go away.
2. A bacterium is necessary for digestion of the solids. Household products containing caustics, acids, disinfectants, etc., should be used in minimal amounts to avoid bacterial imbalances in the tank.
Facts You Should Know about Your Household's Septic System
- All household waste is disposed of through the septic tank system.
- The quantity of waste generated in home varies according to the number of people, amount of personal use, and number of water-using appliances.
- The adjacent image shows approximate household water usage, (Tank size varies/
basic = 1000 or 1500 Gallons)
- A neglected system could result in health problems, pollution of ground waters, even total system failure. System failure can result in expensive repairs.
- Pumping of the septic tank should occur every 2-3 years for an average family of four.
- Pumping of the tank, if the system is 20 years or older should occur every year.